The Urban Assembly Academy of Government and Law (AGL) is a small public school located in Manhattan's Lower East Side that is dedicated to preparing students from diverse backgrounds to be college and career ready. To prepare students for the competitive college application process and the academic demands of college, we offer students a rigorous law themed curriculum that includes law and ethics, forensics science, advance legal topics, advance placement courses and college now.
As a member of the AP for ALL Initiative, all students graduate having taken AP Language & Composition and AP US History in 11th grade, and AP Literature in 12th grade. Students can also take AP Environmental Science and AP Statistics and are further able to earn college credit in high school by taking College Now courses with a CUNY college.
At AGL, we also offer enriching law themed activities beyond the classroom including participation in moot court and mock trial competitions, federal and state court visits that allow students the opportunity to observe court cases and meet with judges, and participate in law based workshops that are offered through our partnerships with major NYC law firms.
In addition to providing students with the academic skills that students need, we are also committed to supporting the social and emotional needs of our students. We ensure that our students are equipped with the essential core skills that we believe are necessary for the success in any profession including being able to communicate effectively, think critically to be able to solve our world’s most pressing problems, collaborate with others, be resilient and independent.
- Ranked as one of New York City’s Best High Schools for 2017 by US News and World Report
- 83% to 88% of our students graduate in four years, 3% to 7% graduate in six years for a total graduation rate of 90%
- Over 80% of our graduates are enrolled in college within 18 months of graduation which exceeds the city average and the borough of Manhattan average
- We have a dedicated college counselor who teaches a college lab course and provides one on one assistance to students and families with the college application process including financial aid which results in 100% of our students applying to college.
- We offer 5 advanced placement courses for ALL students
- Students earn college credits in high school through College Now and advance placement courses
- Ninth grade students participate in a transition into high school program that includes academic support, extra-curricular activities, counseling and academic advisement. This program has resulted in 85% to 90% of our students earning 10 credits in their first year of high school
- Students participate in activities such as National Honor Society, law team, student government, basketball, cheerleading, art club and more.